Director of Development
Her Justice has an exciting opportunity for an experienced, creative nonprofit leader. Her Justice seeks a Director of Development to oversee the planning and implementation of all fundraising strategies including special events, foundation and corporate grants, corporate partnerships, individual donors and other special projects as they are established as priorities. S/he would also oversee a communication program which includes a website, printed materials, traditional and social media, electronic communication and public relations. This position reports to the Executive Director.
Major responsibilities include:
- Serve as a member of the senior leadership team at Her Justice, reporting directly to the Executive Director, and generally participate in the management and goal-setting for the organization, including strategic planning, infrastructure planning, staffing and budgeting
- Work in strong collaboration with other senior team members, both on the program side to develop strategies to support agency activities, and on the finance side to ensure streamlined budget development.
- Create budgets, establish forecasts and prepare evaluations of fundraising activities for the Executive Director (ED) and Board of Directors
- Attend all Board meetings and Audit and Finance Committees meetings; co-chair (with the ED) the Development Committee; and prepare any materials necessary to ensure that Board members are appropriately informed about fundraising goals, achievements, and expectations
- Create an annual fundraising plan and work with direct reports to create action plans that support the main plan
- Oversee the foundation and corporate giving program and supervise staff to raise the forecasted amounts from each sector; ensure that goals are met in terms of corporate partners both in number of partners and sponsorship income
- Oversee and develop the individual donor giving program and supervise staff to raise the forecasted amount
- Monitor trends in the community and region and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary
- Oversee the event staff to ensure goals are met for both the annual benefit and any and all additional fund-raising events
- Oversee a comprehensive communication plan to promote the organization to its donors and maximize public awareness of the organization
- Direct the communications staff to ensure all production, coordination and implementation of materials for events, program, public relations and branding are carried out via print, electronic and social media outlets
- Serve as the main point person on the creation and implementation of a cultivation and stewardship program ensuring every funder is “touched” multiple times depending on involvement, sector and/or level of giving
- Serve as the chief manager for the development department including hiring and mentoring the entire team, planning and implementing departmental leadership meetings, serving as main support to direct reports
- Serve as the chief administrator for the development department including ensuring team members adhere to organizational policies and procedures, complete all reviews in a timely matter and carry out all requests to the department in a timely manner
Other responsibilities include:
- Bring forward ideas for new fundraising strategies, both for corporate and individual support
- Evaluate current plans and campaigns and recommend new plans and/or discontinue an existing campaigns
- Ten-years plus proven track record of success in development at one or more medium-sized nonprofit(s). Successful fundraising from multiple donor channels. Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects, including coordinating with development leadership to achieve desired outcomes and tracking and reporting on progress to the ED and Board of Directors.
- Shows initiative and creativity to build an individual donor base and actively seeks to deepen donor relationships and to forge new ones.
- Experience creating compelling and successful written and oral communications for fundraising purposes. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences.
- Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, Board members and those external to the organization. Existing familiarity with the NYC peer community, and familiarity with the law firms and legal services generally a plus.
- Ability to plan and implement an annual development plan.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- The ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative and to manage multiple tasks and projects at the same time.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred.
- Committed to working for social justice organizations.
- Team player and strategic risk-taker.
Salary: Salary range between $125,000 and $135,000. Benefits include medical insurance, 401K plan and liberal vacation policy.
Application: Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls, please.
Her Justice is an equal opportunity employer