Position: Staff Attorney
Reports to: Associate Director, Legal Services
Organization: Her Justice (www.herjustice.org)
Location: 100 Broadway, 10th floor, New York, NY 10005
Her Justice is a nonprofit organization that provides free legal services to women living in poverty in New York City in family, divorce, and immigration matters. Founded in 1993, Her Justice recruits and mentors volunteer attorneys from the City’s top law firms to provide free legal help to address individual and systemic legal barriers. Our main office is located in Manhattan, and staff members also work out of the New York City Family Justice Centers in the Bronx, Queens, Manhattan and Brooklyn. The attorney in this position will be based in our Manhattan office, and will work one or two days a month at one of the Family Justice Centers.
We seek a staff attorney with at least 3-5 years litigation experience in family law and matrimonial cases. Fluency in Spanish or another language is strongly preferred. Experience with large scale CLE and pro bono programs is helpful but not required.
• Perform client intake and legal screening of clients at the New York City Family Justice Centers and on the weekly live helpline
• Assess clients for pro bono placement
• Provide advice and brief services to women who are proceeding pro se in family law and matrimonial law matters
• Maintain a small caseload of uncontested divorce cases. The selected candidate may also handle occasional litigated matters, depending on capacity and workload.
• Mentor and support volunteer attorneys who are handling complex cases for Her Justice referred clients
• Work with the family/matrimonial team to develop and strengthen Her Justice family/matrimonial practice
• Work with the family/matrimonial team to develop new forms of connecting pro bono attorneys to family/matrimonial matters
• Recruit volunteer attorneys from large law firms to provide pro bono representation to Her Justice referred clients by conducting CLE trainings, and presenting on issues of family/matrimonial law
• Assist in recruiting, training and supervising in-house volunteers and law students
• Assist with preparing grant proposals and reports
• Serve as a resource to non-family/matrimonial staff on family/matrimonial-related matters
• Participate in community outreach, media relations and other forms of marketing and public education
• Serve on committees and panels relating to policy issues and/or reform efforts
• JD degree and bar admission in New York State
• At least 3-5 years of experience litigating complex family law and matrimonial cases in New York State
• Spanish language or other language fluency is strongly preferred
• Experience representing indigent clients, survivors of domestic violence and clients from diverse backgrounds and communities is preferred
• Experience working with pro bono attorneys is preferred
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational, inter-personal, communication and leadership skills
• Computer proficiency- Microsoft Office and database systems
Salary: Salary range mid – $60s. Benefits include medical insurance, 401K plan and liberal vacation policy.
Application: Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls, please.
Her Justice is an equal opportunity employer