Volunteers are the heart and soul of Her Justice
Our legal volunteers provide an average of over 72,600 hours of legal services each year, valued at over $40 million.
Experienced Her Justice staff attorneys provide intensive training and mentoring to volunteer lawyers from more than 100 law firms and corporations so they can best use their skills to address the critical concerns of families in crisis in New York City.
There are many ways you can volunteer with Her Justice.
- Law firm and in-house attorneys can change lives and hone their legal skills through pro bono representation of women who desperately need a lawyer, or assist through research and advocacy on our policy and court reform initiatives.
- Financial experts and forensic accountants/investigators can mentor clients on financial matters or uncover hidden sources of income to help clients obtain fair financial awards and live safe, secure lives.
- Paralegals and others can assist legal teams or interpret for non-English-speaking clients.
- Our fundraising events also depend on volunteers from all walks of life for their success.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
When people go to court and they don’t have a lawyer, they come up short – even when the law has been designed to protect them.
Volunteer lawyers may choose to take on a divorce case involving financial or child-related issues in Supreme Court, or an order of protection, custody/visitation or child or spousal support matter in Family Court, or to represent immigrant victims of gender-based violence to help them obtain legal status. Attorneys may also volunteer to research a variety of policy issues and collaborate with us on affecting systemic changes in the courts.
- Attorneys interested in expanding their courtroom skills can represent individual Her Justice clients in litigated matters. In addition, forensic accounting experts and investigators from several firms assist volunteer legal teams with compiling and analyzing the documentation necessary to obtain fair divisions of marital assets and support orders for our client
- Lawyers who do not seek adversarial court experiences can assist Her Justice clients with uncontested divorces and immigration petitions for domestic violence survivors seeking legal residency in the United States
- Along with other languages, Spanish-fluency is particularly valuable, as more than 50% of our clients speak Spanish as their primary language
- Your work for Her Justice clients satisfies your professional obligation to provide pro bono assistance to those who cannot afford counsel
To find out how you can make a lasting impact on the lives of women living in poverty, email [email protected].
Find out more about volunteering as a pro bono lawyer with Her Justice.
Legal interns, fellows & volunteers
Learn more about the legal internships, fellowships and volunteer positions available at Her Justice.
Click here to see the latest volunteer positions at Her Justice>
Her Justice is an equal opportunity employer.
Free Continuing Legal Education (CLE) training
Policy Pro Bono
‘Policy pro bono’ represents a new set of opportunities to work with Her Justice. Policy pro bono projects can involve writing briefs and letters or conducting research to support advocacy for court and law reform on issues that affect Her Justice clients.
Find out more about Her Justice Policy Pro Bono: A New Opportunity for Law Firms and Corporations.
Attend an Event
Her Justice hosts events throughout the year to raise awareness of the issues faced by our clients, introduce concerned New Yorkers to our work, and raise funds.
You can support Her Justice by joining us for social or professional networking events, athletic activities, informative discussions, or special tours to see our work in action.
Make a donation
Every dollar donated to Her Justice delivers six dollars’ worth of free legal services. Your support makes it possible for Her Justice to pair skilled lawyers with women living in poverty who have high-stakes legal needs.
Making a gift online is safe and easy – click here to donate now.
If you prefer to make a gift by check, please make payable to Her Justice and mail to:
100 Broadway, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10005
Attn: Director of Development