Get help

Free legal help for women

Her Justice provides free legal help in family law, divorce and immigration matters to women living in poverty in New York City.

Who we help

To use Her Justice services, you need to:

  • Be a woman or identify as one
  • Live in one of the five boroughs of New York City
  • Have a legal issue relating to family, divorce or immigration law
  • Meet our income guidelines

Areas we cover

  • Family Court issues, including orders of protection, custody and visitation, and child and spousal support
  • Divorce
    • Contested (litigated) divorces
    • Uncontested (non-litigated) divorces
    • Marital debt project (for divorcing clients only)
  • Immigration self-petitions, battered spouse waivers and U Non immigrant Status petitions under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

Our services

  • Legal information, advice and referrals
  • Brief services (for example, drafting documents required by courts)
  • Volunteer attorney representation in court free of charge

Find out more about the services Her Justice provides here.

Live Legal Help Line and Family Justice Centers

You can call our live Legal Help Line and speak with a legal professional at 718.562.8181 on Thursdays from 10AM to 1PM.  Please note that we only accept family and matrimonial cases on our Help Line; clients seeking immigration advice should go to their local Family Justice Center. You can also visit our offices in a Family Justice Center if you are a past or current survivor of intimate partner or elder abuse and live in the borough where the Center is located. For more information, visit the Family Justice Centers website.

Kate Powers, Associate, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, talks about helping Myrna with immigration and divorce matters.